Artists want their problems solved. Producers are problem solvers. However most artist have a pretty steep learning curve about what a producer can and can't do! Lets talk about the different jobs a producer fills.
1) The “sound “ of the recording is usually shaped by the engineer BUT the producer can help put that in motion. I always recommend artist bring examples of the recordings that have the "sound" you are looking for!
2) A producer should be able to help shape the artistic direction of the recording..making sure that YOU get what you NEED at this point in your career...In terms of establishing your brand identity, making noise in the biz and with the public, achieving an authentic artist vibe etc And if the direction needs shaping and clarifying this is something you would be collaborating with your producer..keeping in mind that they "work for you" to help you achieve your next steps NOT the other way around!
3) A producer can make sure the songs are helping you reach your goals…. Sometimes by collaborating on the writing, sometimes by helping you select which tunes are strongest and most likely to help you achieve your goals and sometimes by sending an artist back to the “writing” part of the process!
SO, in choosing your producer you are choosing someone who should bug you with questions, help you clarify your goals and focus you on what you want to achieve with your music in the short.... and long run.
When considering a new recording project I always recommend starting by building relationships with a batch of different producers.
Conversations (by phone, e mail or in person) will help you clarify
1) what YOU want to achieve with this recording
2) What THEY will bring to the table to help you achieve your goals
....and ultimately help you decide who you want to work with at this time in your career!
Have Career Strategy Questions you need answered? I am available to work with you as a coach to help you achieve your goals in the music industry! Message me at email@example.com and lets talk!